Welcome to our happy teeth page!
This is where you will find lots information on how to look after your teeth, including:
- how to brush your teeth
- what happens when you visit the dentist
- what to do after you have had a tooth out
- the best foods to eat for healthy teeth
- colouring-in sheet
- meet our teeth team
- book a school visit
- hi-5 video - taking care of your teeth
Our dentists at work
Visiting the dentist
Pre-school dental visits
What happens at the dentist?
What does the dentist do?
The dentist is a doctor who is specially trained to care for teeth. When you visit for a checkup, your dentist will look at your teeth and gums to check for any problems. The dentist also wants to make sure your teeth are developing properly as you grow.
It's important to visit your dentist every 6 months to make sure you're taking good care of your teeth and that your teeth and gums are healthy.
What happens at the dentist?
After your name is called in the waiting room, you'll go into the dental clinic and sit down in a big, comfortable chair that is like a huge recliner. The chair will have a place to rest your head and lots of room for you to stretch out your legs. Next to the chair may be a little sink with a cup that you can use to rinse out your mouth as your teeth are being cleaned.
During your visit, your teeth will be cleaned, flossed, and checked for cavities. The dentist will look at all of your teeth and check your gums to make sure they're strong and healthy. The dentist will also check the way your top and bottom teeth work together. This is called your bite.
Some words used at the dentist's office might be new to you. Here are a few and what they mean:
- bacteria — tiny organisms that live on your teeth and are found in plaque
- cavity — the decayed, or rotten, part of a tooth
- dental X-rays — pictures of your teeth and gums that will show a dentist whether there are any cavities
- flossing — involves using a piece of waxy string called dental floss to get in between your teeth and remove food particles that your toothbrush can't reach
- fluoride treatment — a gel or foam applied to teeth that makes them strong and helps prevent cavities
- orthodontist — a doctor who specializes in correcting the shape or positions of your teeth
- plaque — a thin, sticky layer containing bacteria that grow on your teeth
Have you just had a tooth out?
Click the document below to find out how to look after yourself after a tooth extraction
Instructions following a tooth extraction
What are the best food and drinks for healthy teeth?
Click the document below to find out the best food and drink for healthy teeth
Food and drink for healthy teeth
Click the document below to download a colouring in sheet
Inspiro dental colouring-in sheet
Meet out teeth team!
If you would like Inspiro to come and visit your school please contact us today - email email@example.com
Inspiro is a local, non-profit community health service that provides dental, dietetics / nutrition, podiatry, physiotherapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, diabetes education, counselling, exercise physiology, social and family support services from our Lilydale, Belgrave and Healesville clinics and various community venues.
We have dentists to look at your teeth, health professionals to help get you moving and active, health services for children and older people, support if you are living with ongoing illness, podiatrists to look at your feet, someone to talk to about your mental health, and many other services to help you reach your own health goals.
INSPIRO LILYDALE: 17 Clarke St, Lilydale
INSPIRO BELGRAVE: 1616-1624 Burwood Highway, Belgrave
INSPIRO HEALESVILLE: 333 Maroondah Hwy, Healesville
Call us on 03 9028 0153