This recipe comes from Laura, our Deakin University student dietitian. These Spanish baked eggs are made with onion, fresh garlic, a dash of paprika, a pinch of chilli, tomatoes, beans, spinach and reduced fat cheese, The eggs are perfectly baked into the mixture and can be eaten for dinner, breakfast, lunch or any time in between, they are really a very versatile meal.
Preparation should take only about 10 minutes and cooking time is approximately 35 minutes.
Laura says that eating eggs does NOT increase your cholesterol levels (6 ways to decrease your cholesterol levels). "This myth has been officially busted! Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrients, with plenty of healthy fat, protein and micro-nutrients in a neat little package. This is the perfect dish to accompany a light crisp salad."
The sauce and other ingredients really make this dish something special, with the garlic, paprika and onions providing layers of flavor.
Preparation and cooking time
Prep: 10 minutes / Cook: 35 minutes / Serves: 4
Nutrition per 360g Serve:
Energy: 1706 kJ
Protein: 18.6 g
Fat: 27.1 g
Saturated fat: 6.4 g
Carbohydrate: 17.5 g
Sodium: 845 mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 400g can of crushed tomatoes
- 400g four bean mix, rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fat-reduced cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion for 5 mins or until translucent.
2. Add garlic, paprika and chilli. Cook for 1 min. Add tomato, beans and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 mins or until thickened. Stir in vinegar. Add spinach and cook stirring for 2 mins or until spinach wilts.
3. Using a spoon, make 4 hollows in the mixture. Carefully crack an egg into each hollow. Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake in the oven for 15 mins or until the eggs are just set. Sprinkle with chives and serve with a wholegrain toast.
Need help managing your weight and diet?
Inspiro’s University trained dietitians, can help you manage your weight and provide expert nutrition advice to enable you to be your best, healthy self.
We understand that everyone's nutrition and lifestyle needs are unique so we provide you with personalised real-world advice, professional support and the accountability you need to achieve your personal goals.
Our dietitians can help you understand nutrition information, provide practical easy-to-follow advice, help you feel healthier and happier and get more out of life. They can also connect you to other health experts at Inspiro, like exercise physiologists who can give you advice on exercises to suit your health needs and achieve your goals.
To make an appointment with one of our dietitians, call us on 9028 0153