Tooth decay is Australia’s most common health problem. Not having your child's teeth checked early can lead to thousands of dollars in costly and potentially scarring repairs.
Did you know that one in three preschoolers have never visited a dentist?
The Royal Children's Hospital National Child Health Poll conducted research into child oral health habits in Australian homes recently. Key findings of the poll included:
- One in three (31%) preschoolers have never visited a dentist.
- One in four of all school-aged children (27%), two in five preschoolers (39%) and more than half (58%) of infants and toddlers don’t have their teeth brushed twice a day.
- One in four (23%) parents hold the misbelief that children only need to see the dentist if they have a problem with their teeth.
- More than three quarters (77%) of parents don’t know that their children should see a dentist for their first checkup about age 12 months.
- Almost half of parents (48%) don’t know that tap water, which contains fluoride, is better for teeth than bottled water.
- Most parents (85%) do not know the maximum recommended daily intake of added sugar for children.
- Half of parents (49%) do not know that there might be free dental services available for their child.
Inspiro's dental outreach team visits preschools and primary schools to promote good oral health
Many preschoolers have never visited a dentist, and a child's first experience with a dentist often leaves a lasting impression into their adulthood. We often see many adults say how scared they were of going to the dentist until they experienced a gentle, caring dentist.
Inspiro's participates in the Smiles 4 Miles program, an initiative of Dental Health Services Victoria (DHSV) which aims to improve the oral health of children and their families in high risk areas across Victoria. Our dental outreach team visits preschools, primary schools and child care centres to encourage and promote good oral health habits and healthy eating. An important part of this is making the experience fun and exciting, with singing, games and a chance to play with toys like giant sized tooth brushes and teeth.
This week our team visited CIRE Children's Centre at Yarra Junction. The response we had from the the children and educators was wonderful.
"This week we’ve been privileged to have the dentist and her assistant from Inspiro visit our Cire Children’s Centre at Yarra Junction. This is a fantastic initiative that aims to educate pre-school children on improving their oral hygiene to help reduce the rate of tooth decay in young children.
The Inspiro team showed the children how to brush their teeth using a very big set of teeth and a very big toothbrush. The children were given three key messages: healthy eating, healthy drinking and thorough brushing. Each child was given a show bag, which contained a drink bottle, a new toothbrush and a sticker. It was a very educational experience for all and we will continue to incorporate learning about great dental health in our programs. Thanks to the Inspiro team for showing us the way to a bright smile."
Inspiro's dental outreach service is free
Inspiro's dental outreach service is free for preschools, primary schools and child care centres. Each child receives a basic checkup free of charge, and a dental report for parents.
Parents are encouraged to book their children to see a dentist at Inspiro if needed. Contact us on 9028 0153.