Delight everyone's taste-buds at your festive lunches and dinners with this healthy take on a traditional Christmas dessert.
- 375g dates or mix of other dried fruit
- 3 tbsp. of cocoa mixed into 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup Self Raising flour
- ½ cup almond meal (if you don’t have almond meal use SR flour)
- Set oven 180o C
- Grease and line loaf tin (20 x 10cm base)
- Soak fruit in the cocoa and water for 2 hours
- Mix in the flour and/or Almond Meal (Optional add 1/3 cup of chopped nuts)
- Put into loaf tin and press firmly
- Bake 30 -35 min in oven
- Cool in tin 10 mins then cool completely on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container 3-4 days
- If desired, serve with a small amount of your favourite spread
Gluten free option
This recipe works very well if you replace the flour with Almond Meal
Just add 1.5 tsp of gluten-free baking soda over the fruit prior to soaking.
This makes the cake higher in protein, lower GI and gluten free.