Dom's Leek and potato soup recipe is the perfect soup to make at any time of year, but it might be at its best when it's cold and wet outside and you need something hearty to warm you up.
This easy to make potato and leek soup recipe was created for our staff recipe book by Deakin University student dietitian Dom. This home made potato and leek soup tastes great, meaning the kids will likely eat it.
Banana, date and chia biscuits: Soft, chewy, full of nutritious ingredients and the kids will love them
Healthy sushi - make it fresh at home: Delicious home made sushi
Improve your health and diet:: Inspiro provides clinical dietetics education services from university trained dietitians
Healthy and filling soup: Hearty tomato and vegetable soup
Delicious healthy snacks: Healthy crunchy nut fruit balls:
Dom's chicken noodle soup: Make it from scratch in under forty minutes
Potato and leek soup: nutrition
Nutrition per 440g Serve:
Energy: 639 kJ
Protein: 5.3 g
Fat: 5.5 g
Saturated fat: 2.9 g
Carbohydrate: 17.9 g
Sodium: 564 mg
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 medium (about 700 g) Desiree potatoes or Pontiac potatoes, peeled, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 leeks, pale section only,washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 1.25 mL (5 cups) reduced salt vegetable stock
- 125 m l(1/2 cup) carnation milk (by using carnation cooking milk you will get almost all the nutrients of milk, with the consistency and mouth taste of cream)
- 2 table spoons finely chopped fresh chives
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, stirring for 3 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the potato and leek and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek softens.
2. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potato is soft. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
4. Transfer one-third of the potato mixture to the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean sauce pan. Repeat in 2 more batches with the remaining potato mixture. Alternatively, use a stick blender to blend in the saucepan.
5. Place the soup over medium heat. Add the milk and stir to combine. Continue for 5 minutes or until hot.
Your potato and leek soup is now ready to serve. You can taste and season with salt and pepper
What to pair with your potato and leek soup
1. Healthy dips that don't contain additives: Make your own deliciously healthy dip
2. Mexican inspired healthy fritters: Black bean and zucchini fritters are simple, quick and easy to make
3. Dietitian approved healthy and delicious lasagna: Perfect for the colder months, perfect for families and perfect fussy eater
Try these healthy banana pancakes: Banana, vanilla and cinnamon healthy pancakes recipe
Inspiro's health services:
Inspiro offers dental services, podiatry, speech therapy, dietetics and nutrition advice, help and assistance, expert diabetes management advice and physiotherapy.
We also offer general, family counselling, drug and alcohol counselling, family violence counselling, counselling for anxiety, depression, loss and grief, Peri Natal depression, counselling for social anxiety and development of social skills, youth counselling, help with eating disorders, a stop smoking clinic and more.
Call us now on 03 9028 0153
Find out more about Inspiro's health services at Lilydale and Belgrave
- Affordable dental and free dental for children
- Affordable physio
- Counselling for youth, families and adults
- Speech therapy for children and adults and occupational therapy
- Free children and family support
- Dietetics and expert nutrition advice.
- Diabetes education
- Play, exercise, development and social groups for children, adults and the elderly
- Quit smoking and alcohol and drug support groups
- Free in school teeth checks for primary school students
- Interest free loans and university scholarships
- Exercise physiology