This homemade and easy to make chicken noodle soup recipe was created for our staff recipe book by student dietitian Dom. You can make this soup from scratch in under forty minutes, It is perfect for any day of the week, plus it's healthy, low calorie and filling, with delicious flavour!
With winter nearly here, it's the perfect time of year to chow down on some homemade chicken noodle soup. This soup is loaded with vegetables and a delicious broth, and contains 20 grams of protein per serve. Consider substituting the spaghetti pasta with zucchini noodles for a lower carbohydrate healthier option.
This is one recipe that we cooked often in the family home growing up, mostly because it’s a simple and delicious way to get veggies in (and as kids we weren't complaining!).
Healthy sushi - make it fresh at home: Delicious home made sushi
Healthy and filling soup: Hearty tomato and vegetable soup
Delicious healthy snacks: Healthy crunchy nut fruit balls:
Cheese and Vegemite healthy pastries: Homemade wholemeal cheesy Vegemite scrolls
Chicken Noodle Soup prep time, cook time and serves
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 (double the ingredients for a soup that will serve 8)
Nutrition per 540g Serve:
Energy: 756 kJ
Protein: 20.1 g
Fat: 4.6 g
Saturated fat: 1.1 g
Carbohydrate: 13.4 g
Sodium: 1012 mg
● 2 tablespoons olive oil
● 1 medium onion, finely chopped
● 1 medium carrot, diced
● 1 large stick celery,thinly sliced
● 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
● 1.5L salt-reduced chicken stock
● 300g chicken breast fillets, diced
● 50g spaghetti, broken into 5cm (you can substitute the spaghetti pasta with zucchini noodles for a lower carb healthier option)
● 2 table spoons of chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat until
hot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 3
minutes. Add carrot, celery and potato and
cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
2. Add stock, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce
heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add
chicken and pasta, partially cover and cook
for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
3. Stir through parsley. Season to taste. Ladle
soup into serving bowls.
A great way to use leftover roast chicken.
Making the stock with the carcass is also a
great way to reduce food waste
Inspiro's health services:
Inspiro offers dental services, podiatry, speech therapy, dietetics and nutrition advice, help and assistance, expert diabetes management advice and physiotherapy.
We also offer general, family counselling, drug and alcohol counselling, family violence counselling, counselling for anxiety, depression, loss and grief, Peri Natal depression, counselling for social anxiety and development of social skills, youth counselling, help with eating disorders, a stop smoking clinic and more.
Call us now on 03 9028 0153
Find out more about Inspiro's health services in Lilydale, Healesville and Belgrave by clicking on the links below:
- Affordable dental and free dental for children
- Affordable physio
- Counselling for youth, families and adults
- Speech therapy for children and adults and occupational therapy
- Free children and family support
- Dietetics and expert nutrition advice.
- Diabetes education
- Play, exercise, development and social groups for children, adults and the elderly
- Quit smoking and alcohol and drug support groups
- Free in school teeth checks for primary school students
- Interest free loans and university scholarships
- Exercise physiology