This weekend, my 8-year-old daughter Sunday and I tried making dietitian Liam's wholemeal cheesy vegemite scrolls. We followed the recipe for the wholemeal flour, and had our vegemite and grated tasty cheese ready.
She loved measuring, mixing, and especially working the dough. While she was rolling the dough, she said to me, "Mum, this is so much fun. I love kneading and rolling the dough. It's better than play-dough!"
We split the dough in half and thought we would try a pizza scroll version as well because we had a hankering for pizza and an abundance of herbs from the garden.
For the pizza version, we:
- Rolled out the dough
- Spread 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Sprinkled 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley and 1 tablespoon of chopped spring onions over the tomato paste
- Tore up a couple of slices of ham and put that on top
- Sprinkled half of the cheese mix over the top
- Tightly rolled the dough into a log
- Cut the log into 3cm lengths and put these scrolls onto a lined oven tray
- Baked the scrolls for 15 minutes in a 180°C oven with the wholemeal cheesy vegemite scrolls.
All the scrolls were gobbled up for lunch. We made an extra batch for snacks and the kids school lunch boxes. Sunday's verdict, "They're delish!"
We'll definitely be making the scrolls again and we also thought the dough would make a great easy pizza dough base for some home made pizzas in future.
Thanks for the fabulous recipe Liam!
If you missed Liam's recipe for wholemeal cheesy Vegemite scrolls, click here for the recipe, and find all of our healthy, dietitian approved recipes here.