These super seedy bars are not only super simple but also super delicious! That's a lot of supers - but in reality it's true, this is the perfect bar, it's ideal for a multitude of different occasions, places and situations (work, home, sport, travel etc).
Why I think you should make these healthy bars straight away
After cooking what you see in the pictures up last weekend I was trying to think of how to describe the end result, and this is what I came up with: "A perfect balance of sweetness, richness and nutritiousness, they make the perfect snack. They’re packed full chia seeds, flax-seeds, natural peanut butter, walnuts, dates, cacao, pepitas and oats, which not only taste great but contain protein, fibre and healthy fats; essential nutrients for optimum health."
And remember, they’re not only nutrient dense but also energy dense so they’ll keep you fuller for longer while you’re busy at work or if the kids are busy at school.
What the mix looks like
Ancient grains granola bars preparation time:
20 minutes | cooking time: 15 minutes | cooling time: 15 minutes
10-12. Simply double the ingredients for 20-24 bars.
- 2 cups of oats
- ½ cup walnuts, crushed
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
*cacao nibs and powder are optional and can be substituted for cocoa powder
1) Preheat oven to 180°C
2) Line tray with baking paper and spread oats and walnuts over the tray, toast for 10-15 minutes
3) Soak dates in a bowl of boiling water for 5 minutes (this will help soften the dates)
4) Drain dates and blend into a paste
5) Add dates, oats, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, pepitas, cacao nibs and cacao powder into a large mixing bowl
6) On a low heat, add peanut butter and honey to a saucepan and warm until a smooth consistency
7) Add peanut butter and honey mix to the bowel and mix all ingredients together
8) Line a small pan with baking paper and fill with the granola mix
9) Press down and flatten the granola mix into the pan, this will make it more compact and less crumbly so make sure you pack it tight. This can be achieved by placing another piece of baking paper over the top and flattening the granola mix into the pan with a flat spatula or any flat items you have like a book.
10) Remove top layer of baking paper and place pan in the freezer for 15 minutes to set
11) Remove from the freezer and pan, cut into preferred sizes and enjoy!