Sometime over the next few weeks, you'll either have to entertain friends and family for a meal, or bring some food with you to an event. I usually put my hand up to bring the bread or drinks because I'm a terrible cook, and it's safer for me and everyone else. But this year, thanks to Inspiro's dietitian, I'll be giving some healthy platters a go.
There are lots beautiful fruits and veggies available in summer that add vibrant colour and taste to a platter. And I'm going to try using some herb leaves and edible flowers to decorate my platters too. If you're looking for inspiration to fill your platters with healthy, delicious bites, check out these healthy platter ideas from our dietitian.
Fill your platters easily with these goodies
- 1. Olives.
- 2. Sun dried tomatoes - drained of oil.
- 3. Cherries, strawberries, melon or other fruit.
- 4. Pickled onions.
- 5. Roasted capsicum - drained of oil.
- 6. Carrot, celery and cucumber sliced into sticks and serve with homemade or purchased hummus or tzatziki.
- 7. Ripe figs, halved, served with goats' cheese.
- 8. Mini peppers (capsicums) stuffed with feta (available at deli).
- 9. Small amounts of good quality cheese.
- 10. Dips – low fat or vegetable based dips served with vegetable sticks.
- 11. Artichoke hearts.
- 12. Fresh or tinned seafood such as smoked or fresh oysters, smoked salmon, shaved lean meat.
- 13. Dried fruit and or nuts.
- 14. Small sushi slices.
Or you could try any of our 14 dietitian approved healthy snacks here
Healthy snacks: 14 Dietitian approved healthy plant based snacks
Easy chicken noodle soup recipe created for our staff recipe book by student dietitian Dom
8 homemade nut-free lunchbox snacks and recipe's
Banana, date and chia biscuits: Soft, chewy, full of nutritious ingredients and the kids will love them
Improve your health and diet:: Inspiro provides dietetics education services from university trained dietitians
With some preparation, try these for something a bit fancier
- Use cucumber slices in place of biscuits and top with smoked salmon, dill and cream cheese, slices of boiled egg with a dollop of mayonnaise or other favourite toppings.
- Pita bread chips – brush or spray pita bread with oil and herbs and bake in oven until crisp, use for chips or with dip.
- Guacamole with avocado, tomatoes, lime juice, natural yoghurt and fresh chillies (optional). Serve with pita chips.
- Chargrilled veggies – try a mix of zucchini, capsicum and eggplant – chilled and drizzled with olive oil. Serve with spicy tomato sauce.
- Mini filo tarts (use muffin or patty cake tins) and fill with a mix of blue cheese and cottage cheese, topped with caramelised onion and/or lean ham.
- Mini lamb/chicken/beef meatballs on skewers with cherry tomatoes and a yoghurt and mint dip.
- Stuffed mushrooms.
- Banana pancakes. See how to make banana, vanilla and cinnamon banana pancakes
Decorate your platters like a pro with edible flowers and herbs
- Edible flowers - try nasturtiums, violets, thyme, rosemary, chives and lavender.
- Herb leaves - try mint, thyme, rosemary, parsley, sage, dill and basil.
If you're worried about putting on weight over the Christmas season, see 10 tips to avoid Christmas weight gain here
Need help managing your weight and diet?
Inspiro’s University trained dietitians, can help you manage your weight and provide expert nutrition advice to enable you to be your best, healthy self.
We understand that everyone's nutrition and lifestyle needs are unique so we provide you with personalised real-world advice, professional support and the accountability you need to achieve your personal goals.
Our dietitians can help you understand nutrition information, provide practical easy-to-follow advice, help you feel healthier and happier and get more out of life. They can also connect you to other health experts at Inspiro, like exercise physiologists who can give you advice on exercises to suit your health needs and achieve your goals.
We also run Healthy Supermarket Tours where our dietitian will guide you make healthy food choices in a supermarket.
To make an appointment with one of our dietitians, call us on 9028 0153.